Call for Abstracts
You are invited to submit abstracts for poster presentation at the Canadian Nutrition Society (CNS) Annual Conference.
Please read all of the information below before submission.
- January 31, 2023 – 11:59PM ET - Abstract Submission Deadline. This deadline is FIRM in order to be published in the journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism (APNM).
- March 10, 2023 - Notification to abstract authors of review results (abstract is accepted / not accepted)
- March 24, 2023 - Presenting authors of accepted abstracts must RSVP to CNS indicating their acceptance to participate as an abstract author (those who do not respond will be removed from the abstract program)
- March 24, 2023 - Early-bird registration deadline for all conference attendees
- April 20, 2023 - Deadline for all presenting authors to register to attend the CNS Annual Conference (those who do not register by this date will be removed from the abstract program)
- April 21, 2023 - Posters must be uploaded to the CNS Virtual Poster Expo
- April 25, 2023 - CNS launches the Virtual Poster Expo to allow advanced viewing of conference posters
- May 4, 2023 - Poster set up at the Québec Convention Centre
- May 4-6, 2023 - CNS Annual Conference in Québec City
NEW Encore Abstracts (those that have been submitted elsewhere or previously published) will be accepted for consideration and may only be submitted during the "Call for Late-Breaking abstracts" that will take place between mid-February with a deadline of mid-March. Encore Abstracts will NOT be eligible for CNS abstract awards.
When submitting your abstract, you will be asked if you wish to be considered for a relevant abstract award. Before you submit your abstract, please review the list of Abstract Awards to determine your eligibility and to be aware of which Awards you will select for consideration.
IMPORTANT: Consideration for an award(s) must be indicated at the time of abstract submission which means that you must have all required materials (see bulleted list below) ready to upload to the abstract submission form when submitting your abstract.
- The presenting author and supervisor MUST be members of CNS in good standing in order to be considered for any awards.
- Supervisor contact information must be provided at time of submission. Failure to provide this information will remove the abstract from the award competition.
- Authors submitting their abstracts for award consideration must upload a headshot (.jpg/.png). This will be used if you are selected as an award recipient for any of the relevant awards.
- Authors wishing to be considered for the Equity in Nutrition Travel Award must upload a signed letter from their supervisor at the time of abstract submission, as well as a Personal Statement of interest (300 words). Please review details about this Travel Award opportunity.
Each submitted abstract will undergo a blind review by at least two reviewers from the Awards Committee / Review sub-committee using established ranking criteria.
For detailed information about the abstract competition process, please CLICK HERE.
Presenting authors of accepted abstracts must register to attend the CNS Annual conference in person, and are required to participate in both the virtual Poster Expo AND the on-site poster Expo. CNS will have poster display boards at the conference venue with dedicated viewing periods to allow authors to present their research to attendees. Authors must be available to delegates during poster viewing periods.
Additional FAQs for the CNS Annual Conference Poster Expo will be shared on this conference website by March 10, 2023.
Virtual Poster Expo:
Authors will be asked to upload a .pdf of their Poster along with a 50-word summary by April 21, 2023. A short video explanation (~2 minutes) of the poster research is strongly encouraged.
On-site Poster Expo:
Authors are responsible for preparing and bringing their printed poster or poster(s) in large print format to be shared on poster boards at the venue. The set up period will take place on May 4, 2023. The poster size must NOT exceed 3.5 ft (42 inches) x 3.5 ft (42 inches) - the poster may be smaller, but not larger. Posters that are larger will not be accommodated.
- Only CNS Members in good standing, or those who have applied for membership, are eligible to submit abstracts. Note: Memberships, when purchased via the CNS Online Membership Portal, will be effective immediately upon payment. This will allow you to proceed to abstract submission. All purchased memberships will expire on December 31, 2023.
- There is a $45 non-refundable fee for each abstract submission (online credit card payment by Visa or MasterCard only). This fee will NOT be refunded if your abstract is not accepted, removed from the program for not meeting deadlines, or if you do not attend the conference.
- Presenting authors of accepted abstracts must register to attend the Annual Conference in person in order to participate in the Poster Expo. Poster authors will be required to RSVP with their intention to register.
- Abstracts must be submitted electronically using the CNS online abstract submission form. Please submit questions (if required) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not wish to be considered for abstract award competitions, the submitted abstract will be considered for the Annual Conference Poster Program/Expo only.
- Presenting authors of accepted abstracts must participate in the Virtual Poster Expo and the on site Conference Poster Expo. The Virtual Poster Expo requires you to sign up for Disqus, a free program that enables the opportunity for dialogue between poster authors and visitors.
- An abstract may be submitted if it has been previously presented but NOT published (e.g. you submit an abstract that has been previously presented at an institutional or local conference, as long as the abstract has not been published in a journal).
- All abstracts must reflect original data (not previously published).
- Encore Abstracts (those that have been submitted elsewhere or previously published) can only be submitted during the Call for Late-Breaking abstracts (mid-February).
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses are acceptable submissions, but narrative reviews or proposal abstracts will not be accepted.
- More details for poster and oral * presenters will follow by email once final decisions on abstract acceptance have been made. The CNS Annual Conference Abstract Committee will make the final decision regarding the presentation format (ie: poster or oral*).
- Authors who will present at the conference will not be compensated for their expenses including registration fees, travel, meals or hotel expenses.
* Session Presentations - Some abstracts may be selected for a presentation (~15 minutes) during a conference concurrent session. If you are interested in being considered for a presentation during a concurrent session, please indicate “yes” to the question: Would you be willing to give an oral presentation at the CNS Annual Conference? YES / NO. The CNS Annual Conference Program Committee will make the final decisions regarding abstracts to be included as session presentations in the conference program. Presenting authors will be notified regarding presentation format and will have the right to accept or decline at that time.
ABSTRACT FORMAT REQUIREMENTS
Please note that abstracts that do not adhere to the required abstract format (as indicated below) may be subject to return to author and require resubmission (an additional fee) or will not proceed to the review process.
- Abstract is being submitted by the PRESENTING AUTHOR. Presenting authors must provide contact information at their primary affiliation (do not use a home address). Presenting authors must be a current CNS member.
- Presenting authors must submit using the email address associated with their CNS membership profile
- Presenting author is listed FIRST in the list of authors.
- Authors' first and last names must be spelled out in full
- Co-Authors are listed in the order that they should appear in the APNM journal publication.
- Affiliation of authors and co-authors is completed in full, including Department, Institution, City, Province/State, Postal/Zip Code, Country.
- Only capitalize the first word in the abstract title (other than proper nouns)
- Use standard abbreviation. Place special or unusual abbreviations in parenthesis after the full word when it appears for the first time.
- Financial support should be indicated in brackets at the end of the abstract. Financial support information is included within the 350 word limit.
- No references nor acknowledgement sections are required.
- DO NOT include sub-headings, charts or tables in your abstract. This level of detail is not used to evaluate the merit of your abstract.
- Errors, misspellings and incorrect abbreviations will NOT be corrected.
- Abstract does not exceed 350 words (excluding the title) - this word limit includes any funding information
- Abstract is written in English
- Abstracts must be submitted electronically using the CNS online abstract submission form
- Abstracts by mail will not be accepted. In case of problems, please contact the CNS office via email at email@example.com.
To download a .pdf of the 2022 Scientific Abstracts: Canadian Nutrition Society Annual Conference that were published in "Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism (APNM), please click here
Published on the web 20 April 2022, Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, Volume 47, Number 4 (Suppl. 1), April 2022 https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2022-0087